Sunday 6 October 2013

Jantar Mantar

 Since my last post was about 'Ranthambore National Park' in 'Rajasthan', I continue this post in the same royal state (Rajasthan- Abode of the kings). This post covers a popular tourist destination 'Jantar Mantar', built in the city of Jaipur. Now if you Google 'Jantar Mantar' I am sure there's gonna be plenty of links about the place... then why did I bother covering it? Because it's a place whose architectural genius I truly admire; especially considering the era in which it was built.


 The 'Jantar Mantar' is an equinoctial sundial, consisting a gigantic triangular gnomon with the hypotenuse parallel to the Earth's axis. On either side of the gnomon is a quadrant of a circle, parallel to the plane of the equator. The instrument is intended to measure the time of day, correct to half a second and declination of the Sun and the other heavenly bodies. The history of 'Jantar Mantar' is that in the early 18th century, 'Maharaja Jai Singh II of Jaipur' constructed five Jantar Mantars in total, in Delhi, Jaipur, Ujjain, Mathura and VaranasiNow all of these are pretty much alike, (I've seen two of them) but  the stone structural gizmos never fail to amaze me.

 Also, this 'Jantar Mantar' that I am writing about is in the city of Jaipur which is one of the cities of India that is so close to my heart. The people are warm and helpful and being a popular tourist destination especially among foreign travelers the people are completely unfazed by the gora's and gori's in their shorts and don't even give them a second look forget staring or ridiculing; which is a huge thumbs up to the tourist friendly image that we need for our 'Incredible India'.

 I am sure my pictures will be able to do most of the talking in this case whatever I write, I will never be able to capture its true architectural and astronomical essence that you may get by visiting the place and actually experiencing it.

People who do not have a lot of interest in architecture or astronomy might find this place a bit dull. Having said that I'd still say that it is an important part of India's glorious past and stands tall proving to the world about the in-depth knowledge that we as a nation had about complex elements of astronomy dating back as early as the 18th century and therefore is a must see!


Visiting hours are from 9 am to 4.30 pm. 
The entry fee is subject to change, but the rates differ for students, tourists, foreign students and foreign tourists.

Keep Travelling!! Keep living!!

Nearest Railway Station: Jaipur Station.
Nearest Airport: Jaipur International Airport.
Jantar Mantar, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India.

No comments:

Post a Comment